Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Motorsport, the gentlemans game

Ive participated in alot of sports at various levels, rugby union, hockey, tennis, motocross, bmx, wakeboarding, golf etc but most importantly, motorsport.

Motorsport to me, from my observations, is the sport of gentleman. Ive met all kinds of assholes at sporting events, infact I would go as far as to say that your more likely to run into an asshole at a sporting event. This is a feature motorsport finds itself exempt from.

It is basically free from douche bags. I attend everything from time attack, hill climbs, drifting, rigourous streeting in places of hilly nature. There are never douche bags. You can look to your local media for examples, every australian sport has some douche bag outsed for some lame crap.
Harrasing a girl, drugs, drunken antics, hell even tiger woods slept around and he was the highest paid sportsman of the era. How many mishaps or immoral things have you ever seen a racedriver do. None, v8 supercars, one of the most bogan of Australian sports, has never had a driver caught with wrong doings, hell you've never even heard of someone involved in the sport doing anything wrong. This goes from moto gp, f1, kart, everything.

People in motorsport are moral people, this occured to me when I realised, anyone playing with cars past 2oish is a car person. People dont become car people, they are born into the role. Ive been into motors as long as I can remember anything, I was going through old school stuff and found a story I had written in grade 1 about becoming a race driver and racing at Le Mans. My character was crudely drawn to resemble to Nintendo character Yoshi and it was funny as all hell. My point is any idiot can pick up a rugby ball and run 15 meters, throw in a few steps and do something fancy. Just in the same way anyone can drink to much and punch their wife. Thats not to say everyone does. Thats what seperates people, morals. Im not talking about the 10 commandments, good people dont need an excuse to be good.

I ramble sometimes but back to the point, an idiot cant put a car round a corner quickly lap after lap, an idiot cant build a car from the ground up for motorsport, anything as simple as an engine conversion I have found to be completely beyond 95% of people. Im not saying mechanics are smart or something, most of the best people in motorsport and building race cars were never mechanics. Closer to engineers if anything. Thats what motorsport creates, backyard engineers, and I for one love it.

Australians all too easily turn their income into empty beer bottles in a recycle bin, I respect anyone who takes the time to accomplish anything, and I tip my hat to all the backyard engineers out there.

All I am saying is in contrary to what the papers would have you believe, car lovers are reckless hoons who destroy lives and the environment. They would all have to be evil!

Put simply, they arnt, they are the nicest people in society by a long way, and most of my friends have come and gone, but the people from the car world stay and I hope till the end.

In a time of generation y being into drugs, booze, abortions etc, society should make it preferable to be into motorsport, as its the thin line between assholes and diamonds in the rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I agree Beally